Kennametal Tungsten Powders
At Kennametal, we do more than manufacture high-quality, refractory tungsten powders to customer specifications.
We also provide technical manufacturing support for pressing and sintering, as well as full service metallurgical evaluation, chemical analysis, grade application, failure analysis and CVD/PVD coating know-how. Our tungsten powders are manufactured through automated reduction, carburization, milling and spray drying processes.
We manufacture tungsten powder for use in electrical contacts, airbag deployment systems, and as the beginning material in tungsten mill products and wire. It is also used in particle guns for genetic modification of plants and vegetables and in radiation compensators.
Coarse Tungsten Powder
- Intended for applications that use non-thermal powder consolidation technologies (tungsten– polymer/elastomer, deformable metal binder, etc.)
- Special powder processing services available for narrow distribution, increased apparent density, and/or high flowability
- Coarse particle sizes with low alkali metal content are ideal for thermal spray
- Widely used for lead-free ammunition and moldable radiation shielding products
- Useful as a pour-in high density filling material for irregular shaped cavities to add weight or radiation attenuation
Crystalline Tungsten Powder
Crystalline tungsten powders (matrix and spray) are used for infiltration in mining bits and other oil and gas applications. It is also used in a variety of other applications: lead replacement, golf club weights, show dog ear weights and more.
Granulated Tungsten Powder
Granulated tungsten powder includes accelerator and alloy powders. It is used as a catalyst in laboratory material analyzers.
Prepared Tungsten Powder
Prepared tungsten powder (high apparent density powder) is a combination of different sized powders. It is used for casting and other special applications.
All powder is commercially uniform in purity. The chemical and physical analyses are determined for each production lot of powder by using commercially accepted methods. The results of all relevant tests are reported to the customer on a Certificate of Analysis.