Conflict Minerals Statement
On August 22, 2012 the Securities and Exchange Commission ("SEC") published final regulations implementing the "Conflict Minerals" (as further defined below) reporting obligations under section 1502 of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act. The Dodd-Frank Act (the “Act”) requires that all publicly traded companies subject to SEC rules report annually on the presence of certain minerals, including tin, tantalum, tungsten or gold (“3TG”), in the products they manufacture or contract to manufacture, and demonstrate the proper level of diligence in determining whether these minerals originated from the Democratic Republic of the Congo ("DRC") or an adjoining country (“Covered Countries”)
- Kennametal does not purchase 3TG from the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) or Covered Countries, nor does it purchase 3TG from suppliers who source in that region unless they have been certified by an authorized governing body as “Conflict Free.”
- Kennametal does not engage suppliers associated directly or indirectly with armed groups in the DRC or Covered Countries.
- Kennametal has invested in and implemented measures to increase the use of recycled materials to advance responsible environmental practices and diversify its supply.
- Kennametal has initiated a comprehensive process to determine the country of origin of 3TG sourced from its suppliers in compliance with regulatory requirements, including documentation and due diligence conducted across its supply chain.
- Kennametal has obtained and continues to obtain documentation from its suppliers to ensure conflict-free sourcing of materials used in the manufacture of the company’s end products. The company’s suppliers must demonstrate they support these requirements and ensure they do not procure materials that originate from the DRC or Covered Countries that are associated with financing conflict in the region
Kennametal supports the goal of ending violence, human rights violations and preserving the environment globally, including in the DRC and Covered Countries. Kennametal remains committed to sourcing materials and components in compliance with the Act, and requires its suppliers adhere to the same values related to human rights, ethical behavior and environmental responsibility. Kennametal will continue to work cooperatively with its customers and suppliers to ensure materials procured and supplied support this commitment.