Tech Tip: Understanding Milling Insert Nomenclature
(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13)
ANSI Inch S E K R 4 2 AF T N 6 G D P
- First station indicates shape of insert.
- Second station shows relief angle or rake angle of the insert.
- The third station provides a working gage for repeatability. It sets tolerance to the I.C. (inscribed circle) and creates a gage tolerance for the I.C. to the over-the-nose radius along with the thickness of the insert.
- Fourth station indicates geometry and clamping insert type. It designates with or without hole, shape and size of hole, chipbreaker form, and single- or double-sided insert.
- Fifth station indicates I.C. size of the insert.
- Sixth station designates insert thickness.
T = 1/16” inch increments
- Seventh station designates corner configuration of the insert.
- Cutting edge form
F for sharp
E For Honed edge
T for T-Land
S for Honed T-Land
- Designates N for neutral, R for right-handed, or L for left-handed insert.
- Designates facet width of insert.
2 - .0312”
3 - .0469”
4 - .0625”
6 - .0938”
- Edge prep size
L – Light sharp or lightly honed or T-landed
G – General Medium hone and/or T-land
H – Heavy – large hone and/or T-land
- Rake face angle
Angle on insert prior to installation.
N – 0 degree, A – 3 degree, B – 5 degree, C – 7 degree, P – 11 degree,
D- 15 degree, E – 20 degree, F - 25 degree, G – 30 degree.
- Added Info
J – polished rake face
P – partial T-land
W- Wiper Insert