Tech Tip: Reducing Chatter in End Milling
Chatter in the form of vibration and noise is a frequent challenge when end milling, causing scalloping and uneven finishes.
To reduce chatter, try the following:
- Ensure that the starting places for speeds and feeds are correct for the workpiece material and the cut.
- Increase the feed, or chipload per tooth/tool.
- Make the workpiece as secure and rigid as possible.
- Reduce excess overhang between the workpiece and spindle.
- Select an end mill with more flutes.
- Check the tool run-out.
- Review the tool geometry to ensure the cutting face, relief, fluting and helix angle are appropriate for the workpiece material.
- If conventional milling, try climb milling.